The Mill Literary Contest judges Laurie MacDiarmid (poetry) and Mike Magnuson (fiction) announced winners and honorees at the Appleton Public Library on April 17. Each judge received a large number of submissions, devoted significant time to reviewing pieces, and spoke of the difficulty of choosing winners from work of such high quality. Thanks go to all who entered the contest.
Poetry Prize Winner:
- Laurel Mills for her poem "The Rhubarb Patch."
Poetry Honorable Mentions:
- Barb Germiat for the poem "Golden Giants"
- Sarah Gilbert for the poem "This Pleasant White Female"
- Meredith Mason for "Left Side"
Fiction Prize Winner:
- Anne Paterson for her story "Perfectly Fine"
Fiction Honorable Mentions:
- Lisa Strandberg for "Bad Apples"
- Jennifer Lee Edmondson for "Walter"
- Colleen Holz for "At the Grocery Store"
Michael Perry and The Long Beds returned to the OuterEdge for an encore Tunes and Tales Book Fest Benefit show.
The 2013 Fox Cities Book Festival has been set for April 17 through April 24 at venues from Kaukauna to Neenah and all points in between. This year’s Festival will feature nearly 65 writers and more than 75 events, including book talks, readings, poetry panels and writers workshops. The Festival will again run from a Wednesday through the following Wednesday, encompassing eight nights and a full weekend for author visits.