Fox Cities Book Festival
P. O. Box 1014
Appleton, WI 54912
The Fox Cities Book Festival is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Donations are tax deductible.
For those interested in volunteering please click here.
For writers interested in participating in the festival please click here.
Questions for Presenters
Are you currently booking authors for the festival?
The Fox Cities Book Festival is accepting submissions for the 2020 festival, held October 12th -18th, from now until March 1. After March 1, submissions will be kept on file for the following year, but are not guaranteed to be viewed for part of the current year selection process. Please be aware that submission does not guarantee acceptance into the festival, which is by invitation only. If you are selected a member of the Events Committee will reach out to you directly. The Fox Cities Book Festival does not have an author booth event, so submission is for authors intending on presenting during the Festival.
What types of books are considered?
- Fiction (all ages)
- Nonfiction (all ages)
- Poetry (no chapbooks)
What types of books are not considered?
The Fox Cities Book Festival will not accept self-published works that are not bound or cannot be available from large scale book sellers. Self-published titles are evaluated on a case by case basis.
What do I need to know about submitting to participate in the Book Festival?
- Meeting the criteria for consideration does not guarantee an invitation to participate in the Festival.
- Books submitted for consideration to the Festival will not be returned and authors will not receive feedback or critique of the work.
- We do not notify authors who are not selected; however your submission will remain in our list of potential authors, which is maintained from year to year.
What happens when an author is selected?
- A member of the authors committee will reach out to you about six months prior to the Festival.
- A date and time for presentations will be set at one or multiple venues.
- Authors will receive an introductory packet which includes a contract and specific requirements to return.
Volunteers are important to our event; they help our audience connect with the authors and the authors connect to our community.
We welcome your assistance in the following areas:
- Assuring the room is ready for the author
- Welcoming guests
- Providing information, directions, maps and programs to attendees
- Answering festival-related questions
- Taking attendance
- Monitoring late entrances, exits, door and hall noises
- Distributing and collecting evaluation forms and other materials at the end of each program
Book Signing Assistance
- Helping maintain traffic flow in the book signing area after the presentation
- Preparing and manage author signing areas
- Assisting with merchandise and sales if asked
- Distributing flyers to local businesses prior to and during the Fox Cities Book Festival
- Delivering author information to different venues
- Answering festival-related questions
- Driving authors to their venues and occasionally to and from the airport
- Ensuring the author arrives on time with the needed materials
Frequently Asked Questions
You will be given a phone number to call and we will try to find a substitute. Often you are working with one or more volunteers in the same shift, so it will not be a problem. However, we expect you to notify the coordinator
Yes, please do. Try different venues and authors you may have never known to broaden your own tastes in reading.
Return the materials to the main desk unless there is an event following your volunteer time.
Usually you will go to the main desk of the library or the venue to pick up the necessary materials for your designated time and your name tag.
You need to be at your venue at least 30 minutes ahead of time. This will allow you enough time to park close to the venue. Most venues have ample parking, but spots do fill up. Be aware that Appleton Public Library uses parking meters and venues in downtown Appleton and Neenah also have parking restrictions.